September 04, 2012

Out For a Hike

The day after I returned home from Girls Camp we decided to go for a hike. Aaron located a trail on Sauk Mountain, just outside of Concrete, WA. We got our dusty hiking boots on, filled up our Nalgene water bottles, packed snacks and loaded the dogs into the car.

We arrived at the trail head in the afternoon. Not the best idea on a hot August day, but we started hiking. Aaron counted a total of 27 switch-backs until we reached the top. At the first switch-back the dogs thought we had lost our minds and sat in the bushes breathing heavily. We pulled out the water and bowl for the dogs to help hydrate them.
Mav was exhausted. He took a rest on Aaron's backpack.
To his credit, he has a very small stride.


Our hike continued up the mountain on the switch-backs. At every corner the dogs were pausing for a break. I'll admit I was glad they were tired too, because I was feeling just as drained.
Allie quickly learned about the importance of shade.
 
Take a close look at the switch-backs! 

I honestly was willing and ready to turn around at switchback one, six, thirteen and twenty. However, much to my own shock I continued. Of course there were a number of breaks and slow hiking, but we made it to the top of Sauk Mountain! The view was breathtaking! The view from the top of a mountain is well worth the hard work exerted to get there.
Cascade Mountains with Mt. Baker on the right.



We found a few patches of snow to cool us down. Maverick especially made full use of the snow and just plopped himself right down.


By now it was late afternoon and we decided to head back down the trail. Allie and Maverick caught on quickly and began walking briskly down ahead of us. They would sit and wait at the switch-backs for us to catch up and they would continue their speedy journey back to the car.
Skagit Valley and River.

Once we got off the mountain roads we stopped for food. I love to go to the non-chain places. The "Ma and Pa" style food. We found Cascade Burgers. We each ordered a burger and a milkshake. I was in heaven. I would make the drive to this little place for a burger for dinner tonight!


3 comments:

whitaker said...

Oh how I miss you! I showed Az the picture of Mav and Allie and the kid just got so sad she couldn't go see them. Then I asked what about Megan and Aaron, don't you want to go see them... to which she responded "yeah ok." I couldn't help but chuckle because that is exactly what happens when you have kids, everyone always wants to see them and you are just not as cool anymore. Gotta love it! :) Talk to you soon.

Darren and Brandi said...

so fun! i'm very impressed. i'm pretty sure i wouldn't be able to make it to the top... guess it's time for me to get back into shape!

The Kammeyers said...

I must not have eaten enough for lunch today because that bacon burger is looking just FABULOUS! :) Glad you guys are enjoying the beautiful NW. As it should be. :)

Again, we are SO excited for you both and your upcoming new addition! Also, I recall you saying the gender ultrasound was on the 12th, so only 2 more days to go! For the record, I'm gonna guess.... BOY! Although either way will be wonderful. :)