August 07, 2009

Christmas in JAPAN

Guess What?! We are going to Japan to spend Christmas 2009 with Aaron’s parents. Aaron’s parents currently live in Okinawa, Japan. Are you ready for a small geography lesson? Okinawa is a small island off of the southern tip of mainland Japan. (You can look for it in this not-so-wonderful map that I found.) Our first Christmas together was spent in Utah with my side (Megan) of the family. We are both really looking forward to spending time with Aaron’s side of the family. With the Pacific Ocean separating us, we do not get many opportunities to spend with the Kinghorn side of our family. We decided that this is probably the best time to go and visit. We have both graduated from college and would not have to worry about missing classes or finals. The only difference is that we will both be working full-time. (**Side Note: Currently Aaron is still searching, but he just had a 2nd interview with a hospital in Seattle and it sounded hopeful.) I talked to my boss about taking time off in December. He was questioning why I was asking 5-months in advance, but I wanted to make sure this was going to work out. Late last week I got the approval to take 2-weeks away from work. Getting that news was a huge stress relief for me. Considering we had actually purchased the tickets before I got the official “yes.”

Remarkably tickets were a decent price. Remember it is an international flight, so they are not cheap to begin with. Someone my mom works with mentioned that flying out of Canada is actually cheaper. I thought it was strange, but it is true. So we are flying out of Canada to Japan! It will only take 3 hours by car to drive to Vancouver, Canada. Followed by 16 hours of flying travel time. (I think that is about right?) We fly direct into Tokyo and then catch a flight into Okinawa.


I guess this means that I will have to work on my Japanese and work on enjoying sushi a little more.

1 comment:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

How exciting! Have fun and make sure you take lots of pictures---I want to see them here on your blog. :-)