October 10, 2010

Navy Ball

Friday night we celebrated the Navy's 235th birthday, by attending the Navy Ball. This was our first ball that we have been to since joining the Navy. I have to say that we had a wonderful time! The Navy Ball is a formal evening, which meant that I was able to get all dolled up for the night. What a treat that was! I was able to get a new dress for the ocaission too.

This year we were honoring the recipients of the Medal of Honor. (Read more about the Medal of Honor recipients here) The Medal of Honor is the "highest military decoration presented by the United States government to a member of its armed forces. The recipient must have distinguished themselves at the risk of their own life above and beyond the call of duty in action against an enemy of the United States. Due to the nature of this medal, it is commonly presented posthumously." (Wikipedia)

Before dinner was a ceremony to remember some of the people who were awarded the medal. Stories were read of 6 different people that we awarded the medal in prior wars. For each story read someone dressed in the uniform of that time period would march in the middle of the tables. We were priviledged enough to have in our presence two living recipients of this medal. Their stories were read as a light was shown on them. I wish I had pictures to share, of this ceremony, but it was really touching and I didn't feel comofortable taking pictures of something so tender.

Aaron with one of the Medal of Honor recipients.
(Wish I could remember his name, but I can't find the program at the moment.)

In the Navy there are many traditions. A number of these traditons we experienced at the ball. We had formal toasts to the other branches of the military, president of the United States and other distinguished leaders. Another tradition was the cutting of the cake. The tradition is to have the oldest member of the Navy present along with the youngest present cut the cake together. The cut the cake with a sword too!

Aaron enjoying pouring wine for our friends at our dinner table. We were not drinking, so we thought we would make the best of the evening.

Our dinner was delicious! We were served salmon and steak. They were seasoned and cooked to perfection! It is a little difficult to see in this picture, but everything had a very formal setting. Chargers for the plates, silverware, water goblets, wine glasses, chardonary glasses, etc.

We had a lot of fun celebrating at the ball. Below are more pictures of the evening.

Ruben-Sarah-Aaron-Megan-Clare-Brian

Brian-Aaron-Ruben
They graduated from OCS together and are still good friends.

The ball was held in the National Museum of Naval Aviation.
There were airplaines all over. This is the view from our table.

The ladies of the evening.



Below are the pictures we took prior to leaving for the ball. At times it almost felt like I was getting ready for a formal high school dance, but we had so much fun! 

It's hard to take pictures as a couple when you don't have a parent around. ;-) Hence, the individual pictures.

10 comments:

Melanie Howe said...

>Love your dress Megan - SO pretty!

Lyd said...

Megan!! You look so pretty! I want a reason to dress up like that! It looks like you had a blast. Formal dinners are always so fun to go to, but this sounded extra special. :)

Oh, and I like how to have the temperature posted to rub it in all our faces for those of us who live in the cold. ;)

Jameson said...

Looks like a blast :)

Ryan and Brittany said...

What a fun post! You look gorgeous! I love your make-up, hair, dress, everything!! It looks like it was an amazing night!

Darren and Brandi said...

Oh Megan, you look so beautiful! How fun! Glad you got to go to a ball! I'm a little jealous! :)

James & Kathleen Kammeyer said...

Wow Megan! You look beautiful! Quite the striking couple when put together; you both look great! When parents aren't around, grab someone else to take the picture. Glad you had a fun evening and thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Jealous!! I love your dress! And, thats so fun that you have occasions like that to dress up for! I like going on cruises for the formal nights :)

Heather Curtis said...

I LOVE that dress! You looked absolutely amazing! I haven't talked to you in forever! It is good to catch up a bit on your blog! I am jealous about the ball- I totally want to get all dressed up again but unfortunately my husband's tech job doesn't do anything of the sort. Dang. Miss you.

Linda and Dave Browne said...

Hooray, I can get your blog again! :) Sounds like it was a very fun evening. You looked beautiful!

Mike and Leslie said...

You look beautiful, Megs! I can't believe how long your hair is! I miss you!