January 08, 2010

Dr. Fish at Chula-U

Have you ever had fish eat at your feet? Let me introduce you to Dr. Fish.
When I first heard about Dr. Fish I was a little hesitant and did not know what to expect. I was told that little fish would swim around your feet and eat any dead skin on them. I was thinking "Yuck! Poor fish!." Well, I have to say now that Aaron and I have experienced "Dr. Fish" it was not as bad as I thought. For starters I imagined the fish to be bigger, so when I saw how small they were I felt more at ease.
The best way that I could describe the feeling of little fish eating at your feet would be electric tickling. Yes, this experience tickles your feet a lot! Slowly you adjust to the sensation and you begin to relax. As you can tell from the photo we had fun (I've never seen Aaron wiggle around so much!).

Prior to our Dr. Fish experience we soaked in a very warm swimming pool, seen in this picture. I apologize for the picture, but I forgot to take one and the website is in japanese. At this location were the traditional Japanese baths.
It was a pretty neat place. Because okinawa is such a small island, they reclaim land by dredging up sand, coral, and stone and piling it to extend the island. While they were doing this, the contractors found a natural hot spring and dicided to build the spa instead of the apartments they'd originally planned on. The spa has naturally heated water that gets up to 46 degrees celcius! (That's about 115 degrees Farenheit!) We had a blast soaking and enjoying the strange fish!

4 comments:

Ryan and Brittany said...

You are so brave!! How did your feet feel afterwards?? Smooth??!! That looks like you had such a fun time... what great memories!!!

Aaron and Megan said...

It was soooo ticklish!! I almost could not stand the feeling when I first placed my feet in. It tickled, but I felt like I was getting a small electric zap too. Feet felt good after, but I did get the best pedicure of my life days before. ;-)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun! What a cool experience to be able to talk about for years to come! I am jealous! Japan sounds like it was amazing!

Janet said...

the fish are so cool. i have been telling everyone about them since i read your post!!! i want to give it a try!!