December 05, 2014

Apple Picking

Fall approached Japan slowly this year. I was not really enjoying the season. Mostly because it just didn't feel like home. A friend mentioned apple picking. We found an orchard that had an English website.

I made it a day trip with Brayden. Along for the adventure was Pamela, Anne and her two young girls. Cars in Japan are small so we rented a van from base for the day. Hanging out together in the van was a highlight. Anne drove and I was able to sit in the back and help out with all the kiddos. Traveling with other parents is great. They bring different snacks to share. Plus they understand that delays happen. Sometimes going slow is good.

The apple orchard was fun. The orchard was bordered with a clear netting that kept the birds out. It also worked for keeping the toddlers in. Score! Brayden didn't pick to many apples. He did however have an enjoyable time playing with an apple and one of the crates. He and his little friend Lilly were so sweet playing by each other.







I can't remember, but I think I came home with 60 kilograms of apples. Actually, all three adults each came home with that around that amount. Once back in the car it wasn't long until the kids fell asleep. We had fund though!


I came home and made a batch of apple butter. The recipe was very sweet. In the future I'd cut back on the sugar. Overall it was a good experience because it was my first time preparing and canning on my own.


No comments: