January 30, 2014

Deployment Homecoming

Aaron returned from his first deployment in December. Life has been on fast forward mode since he returned. It was an important event, so I want to document it. His first deployment was 6 months in length. Some days felt like they were dragging, while some sped by. Just for a recap, this deployment started when I was still in the States with B. For nearly the first half of the deployment B and I took up residence at my parents home. What a blessing to be living with family during that time. For the last half, we were residents in Japan.

The USS George Washington was scheduled to pull back into port in Yokosuka Japan, thus completing the deployment.  Another wife and I spent the night down there so we wouldn't have to wake up as early and feel rushed on our homecoming morning.

The morning finally arrived and we were very excited. We heard the boat's horn announcing it was pulling in. Looking out into the bay, we could see the aircraft carrier approaching. What a sight that was to see. The magnitude of how big an aircraft carrier is amazes me.


Looking up to the top (flight deck) of the boat you could see that the sailors were "manning the rails." Each enlisted sailor was standing at attention along the edge of the boat. Finally the boat was moored and colors were shifted, to show that the boat was officially docked.



We waited and looked out searching for our husbands. Mr. B drifted off and fell asleep during the wait. Not much later I looked out and saw Aaron. He was wearing his dress blues and carrying a sea bag. He made his way through the crowd and found us. He arrived with a flower that he gave me.





We were finally reunited after 6 months of being apart. So much joy flooded into our little family.

No comments: