August 02, 2011

A Visit from Aaron's Parents

Last month Aaron's parents came in town for a short visit over the weekend. They drove in right after I got off work. We unloaded the car and Don and Kay settled in. Before the daylight was gone we loaded everyone up in our car. (4 adults and 1 dog!) Aaron and I love going for walks along the sea wall on base and were so excited to take his parents. Next to the sea wall is a small beach that we enjoyed a nice walk along. The temperature was a nice 80 degrees as the sun was setting that evening.

After our walk along the sea wall/beach we headed out for dinner. We went to McGuire's for dinner. McGuire's is an Irish pub that has so much character. The restaraunt has been featured on the Food Network. The ceiling is covered with single dollar bills. (I wish I took a picture, I will next time!) Covered is an understatement, because you cannot see any part of the original ceiling. When you look up all you can see is green. There are over 1.5 million dollar bills on the ceiling!! Each bill has someone's name and date they were at McGuires.
Saturday morning was relaxing as we ate breakfast and got ready for the day. The weather could not have been better. We headed out to the beach for a day of surf and sun. Complete with beach towels, boogie board, floating lounge chair, sunscreen and sunglasses! I wish we had picturers, but we weren't just laying on towels sun tanning. We were out enjoying the water as we floated on the waves.

Back at home we washed off the sand and sunscreen to get ready for lunch. What better summer lunch is there? We had grilled brats, a delicious green salad and sweet potato fries (a new favorite of mine). Evening soon approached and we played all sorts of card games.

Our Sunday morning came too fast. We got our skirts and ties on and headed off to church. After church Aaron gave a tour of the flightline and planes that he flies. Our tour concluded and we went to the Naval Aviation Museum. What a treat it is to live by this museum. I can't count how many times I have been. Each time I see or learn something new!



Lunch was at the Cubi Bar in the museum. This was so special for Aaron and his parents because the orginal "Cubi Bar" was at Cubi Point in the Phillippines, where Aaron's parents lived when he was born. The cafe was decorated with all of the plaques and artifacts from the bar/cafe in the Phillippines. After 20 years Aaron's parents still remembered some of the items and names that were listed!
Our visit with Don and Kay was rather short, but there was a lot of fun that we squeezed in!

.... Before I forget. Allie was in LOVE with Don and Kay.

... and Don and Kay adored Allie in return!

1 comment:

The Kammeyers said...

Looks like you've been having such a great summer, Megan! (We're still working on booking our flights to come out there, BTW. We've had a pretty hard time finding decent flight times - Something we take more into consideration when flying with a little one). :)

I have to say that Irish pub looks AWESOME! Totally our kind of place. Also, super exciting about your new job! I hope you're enjoying it.