December 03, 2010

Caverns in Florida

For our Black Friday we didn't wake up early to go shopping. We drove east toward Tallahassee, FL to visit the Florida State Caverns Park. We were going to meet up with a family friend the Browne's. I had never been in a cave like this, so I was really excited. Probably a bit more excited than Aaron. We found a treasure here. It was a lot of fun and something a little unique.

There was a time during the tour that our guide asked us to turn off all cell phones and cameras. He proceeded to turn out the lights. It was DARK!! I have never experienced that level of darkness. After a few seconds he turned the lights back on. He said that the human eye will strain so much to find any amount of light. After 6 months of this kinds of darkness you would be blind. Anyway, that was a random fact for you all!
We are not allowed to touch the stalactite and stalagmite. The oils found on human hands will stop these natural formations from growing. It may look like I am touching them, but I am really just hoovering.

This is called the "Wedding Cake"

Our tour guide named this room in the cavern the "Heart of the Cave." If you look close enough you will be able to see a heart on the wall. Can anyone see it?

My parents had a lot of fun walking down into the cave.
Just remember to duck a little longer than what you might think, or else you'll hit your head.

Aaron and me walking in one of the smallest rooms.

My mom and Linda with a few good examples of stalactite.

After our cave tour we drove back into town for dinner. We stopped at a place called PoFolks. This was a place that my parents have talked about for years. Back 25 years ago they lived in Florida and would take my older brothers here. It was the perfect place for a young and married couple's tiny budget. All of the food was fried, a typical southern menu.

Our waitress was shocked when I told her I had never had a hush puppy, sweet tea, collared greens or fried okra. She found out I was a Seattle native and proceeded to ask in her very southern accent. "Well, then what do you eat up there?!" Our table proceeded to list off a few items and she just looked at us like we were foreigners. It was very funny, maybe one of those 'you had to be there' moments.

After our tour. This was the first time I had seen fallen leaves this year!
I just think this was a cute picture, so I decided to post it.

4 comments:

Becky said...

How fun! I saw the heart on the wall :) No one eats like they do in the south, it is a way of life down there (As you now well know). Keep posting the cute pictures!

Jake and Jana said...

I love caves! You got some good pics!

Darren and Brandi said...

How fun! I want to go see caves like that!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures Megan! Caves are fun :)