August 09, 2010

Is this work, or a vacation?

Some might say that Aaron and I are on vacation. It might appear that way, but we really did move to Florida because of Aaron's job. It just so happens that we are minutes away from a beach. We have not dropped below 80 degrees (even at night) since we have been here. Slowly I am adjusting to the heat, mostly the humidity is what gets me. I have to say that I am loving being warm all the time. 

I thought it might be fun to share some of our experiences here in the South. (Yes, we're in Florida, but close enough to Alabama to call it the South!)

1. For starters I have now experienced a Waffle House! I am my dad's daughter when it comes to eating breakfast food and I love it!

(Bonus points go out to anyone that knows what these terms mean! They are: covered, smoothered, capped, and country.)

2. One of Aaron's classmates is renting a vacation rental right on the beach. We have found ourselves over on the beach by their place frequently.

3. Since we've been here we've been caught up in a few afternoon rain storms. As you can see in this picture here it was just a little wet. We were drenched! We are thinking that having towels in our car might be a wise option. Along with the rain stroms come really good thunder and lighting. It is amazing how powerful some of the thunder here can be. It's a fun treat though.

4. When you live close to a warm beach people are more inclined to stop by for a visit. Aaron's college roommate Chris, his wife Stephanie and daughter Savannah stopped by last weekend. We took them to the beach.

5. We've also started making tropical beach drinks like daquiries and such. (Virgin of course.) When Chris and Steph stopped for a visit we made a drink for our dinner.
(Steph is putting sugar on the rim of the glass. Great idea!)

6. We thought we'd try the true naval officer experience while we are here. This week we went to the golf course and hit a few golf balls at the driving range.

7. Another activity we have found is beach volleyball. On the major beaches and at some restaraunts you can find a beach volleyball net or two. Yesterday we got a group of guys from Aaron's class and played a game.

That's about it for us here in Florida. We are really enjoying the time we have to relax and have a little fun before Aaron gets classed-up and begins the flight program and has no time at all. I am continuing to look for a job, but no such luck yet. The area is actually rather small and with the oil spill the local businesses are struggling.

2 comments:

Darren and Brandi said...

Yes, it would appear that you are on vacation. Jealous! Sounds like you're having so much fun!

Kirk said...

The beaches look amazing, we'll definitely have to come down and pay you a visit, but not just for the beaches;)